Top Tip For Summer – Ride New Trails
Here are 5 tips to help you find your new favorite trail
It is all too easy to ride the same trails each time you get out for a ride – time is tight, and it is nice to go places we are familiar with, now it’s time to expand your horizons. Fulfill your sense of adventure and branch out a little. Riding new trails can be intimidating but it can also be exciting. One thing is certain, you won’t know what is around the corner until you get there!
- Rate your riding – what trails are your absolute favorites that put a smile on your face every time and you feel confident on. This isn’t the hardest trail you’ve ever ridden, this is the type of trail that is your jam. Whatever grade that is, is a good place to start looking.
- Do some research. Start close to home, then look further afield. If you can find new trails at your local, then that is great. If you are going somewhere for Christmas, take your bike, and research a few trails that you could go to check out for a sneaky ride and take a family member with you. Local bike shops and Trail Forks are a couple of good places to start. Or get a guide!
- Tell someone your plan who isn’t riding with you. Key points to leave behind are who you are with, where you are parking, a trail or two you are planning to ride, and when you will be back. Anything else is a bonus.
- Take snacks and water – It is an adventure after all! It is far better to be prepared and not need it than to get caught out!
- Maintain your bike! Preventative maintenance is key. This can be really easy. Check your bike over after every ride as you give it a good clean. Check that everything moves as it should, makes no weird noises, and keep your chain happy and lubed. Then have a bounce on it before you load it onto the car to make sure there is air where air needs to be and it feels normal! It’s easier to deal with flat tires and such at home than at the trailhead.
Check out our YouTube channel to see the bike in action as I chase people down all of the trails in Rotorua and NZ!
New Zealand Mountain Biking offers trips for a variety of mountain bikers. From half day lessons through to 8 day custom trips for hard core riders – we have you covered. Get in touch to see how we can make your experience in New Zealand one for the history books!
Don’t forget to get in touch to come mountain biking in Rotorua. We offer lessons and tours of up to 7 days!